Looking for fun things to do online while you burn some hours at the office?
Have a bored kid and need some ideas on how to challenge or occupy them?
Stuck inside for a couple of extra hours on rainy day, or to just get through this never ending pandemic?
Or maybe you just miss the Yahoo web directory and are frustrated with with the “search engine” mentality of the world – where you need to know what you are looking for rather than just perusing an index to find something interesting to do on the Internet….
Then we have the ultimate “fun things to do when bored online” list for you!
The whole family contributed to this list – so you will find it covers a WIDE range of websites!
Take a look and please leave a comment to let us know if you are aware of other fun stuff to do online that we should add to our list!
|Science||Weird & Silly|
|Fun & Games||Directories|
|Cool & Helpful Tools||Exploring|
|Educational||Health & Safety|
- Google Arts – Explore different art museums! A way to explore, virtually & in 360°, some of the most fascinating museums in the world! Start with The British Museum!
- AccuRadio – Great online radio stations with music curated by actual humans – not computer algorithms! And you can skip as many songs as you want. Yes it is free! I love using this for classical music stations when I am writing & blogging.
- Typeatune – Create really simple tunes by just typing stuff like your name or even random keys on the keyboard. You can download & share your tunes.
- Google Sky – Look @ the nighttime sky & the constellations right from your desktop! (I find the navigation on this site to be a little wonky – but that just seems to be a hallmark of Google…)
- 100,000 Stars – A fascinating tour & way to explore some of the stars around us. This is an interactive experience. Complete with some eerie astral music….. I would suggest you star with the tour.
- Google Mars – See where various mission spacecraft have landed, and the canyons, dunes and craters of Mars!
- Google Moon – The moon – right from your browser…
- SpotTheStation – A NASA site devoted to helping you identify times you can spot the International Space Station (ISS) from your location. The site also allows you to see where the ISS is in orbit on a tracking map.
- NASA Virtual Tours & Augmented Reality – Tour the International Space Station, the Robotics Operation Center, or the Hubble Space Telescope Mission Operations Center. A Lot of the links are just to YouTube videos. HERE is a link to even more virtual tours.
Fun & Games
- Bing Fun – High quality & fun games to pass the time!
- (Sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, chess, crossword puzzles & quizzes)
- MSN Games – a WIDE range of free (but as supported) games for your pleasure!
- Solitaire, jewel, mohjong, sudoku & even Battleship!)
- The Internet Arcade – Miss the old arcade games of yesteryear – play them here! (Please note – you might have to read what keys to use to control/start the games.)
- Kahoot! – Make online quizzes of your own, or take some of the pre-made ones that span various topics and areas of interest!
- Word Unscrambler – You type it in & the machine unscrambles it for you! You can also randomly scramble words from here and solve anagrams.
Cool & Helpful Tools
- LunaPic – Edit & manipulate photos. Free & very powerful. It could be more intuitive…
- Google Translate (Bing Translate) – Translate from one language to another! Grata tua!
- Hieroglyphics Translator – Translate a word, phrase or your name into hieroglyphics!
- Google Trends – See what the world is searching!
- The WayBack Machine – See what specific websites looked like in the past or ones that no longer exist!
- Ninite – Install & update all of your software at once. It has an impressive collection of free & opensource software!
Online/Internet Privacy Tools
- The Onion Router – A browser devoted to ensuring your privacy! Private access to an uncensored web.
- Send Anonymous Email – How to do it so no one can track you.
- What Every Browser Knows About You – This website SHOWS you everything your browser knows about you and might be passing onto the websites you surf!
- MathPlayground – Free online math & logic games.
- PubChem – Interactive periodic table of the elements! You can change the information displayed with a simple drop down menu – and even play a game to help you more quickly identify where the elements are located on the table.
- HowStuffWorks – This is a great site that has a wide variety of short articles on many topics spanning from science & technology to gardening, cultural and even money!
- Instructables – Another website that covers a broad range of topics – but is oriented to, duh, instructing you on how to actually do various things!
- Kahn Academy – Free world-class educational resources for anyone, anywhere! An amazing resource with a wide variety of classes for every level of schooling. There is even a FREE SAT Prep course – which you can find HERE!
- National Geographic – Explore Animals, History & Culture, Environment, Science & Travel.
- DistroTest – Try various Linux distros right from your web browser!
- Some suggestions: elementary OS, Linux Mint, Pop! OS, Puppy Linux & Deepin.
- DistroWatch – Keep up on, or discover the most popular flavors of Linux.
- Morse Code Translator – Convert text to morse code – with either sound or light. There are also plenty of resources here to help you learn or even decode morse code messages.
- Cryptii – A virtual enigma machine for encrypting & decrypting coded messages!
Ridiculous, Silly & Downright Stupid!
- Museum of Endangered Sounds – Hear some of the sounds from the past – that aren’t in your everyday life anymore! For when you’ve just got to hear that dial up AOL modem connection one more time!
- Windows93 – A website OS that “runs” through your browser and is a nostalgic journey back to the 90’s era of computing. Fun & quirky!
- People of Walmart – An awful site – but there are some funny pictures on it!
- Find the Invisible Cow – One of the dumbest websites on the Internet! Click around a blank screen until you find the invisible cow….
- FutureMe – Write a letter to yourself – to be delivered some day in the future.
Other Directories & Lists of Interesting/Useful Websites
- CEO Express – The self proclaimed “Executive’s Internet”.
- Curlie – a pretty extensive collection, or directory, of websites. Not as easy to navigate or as high quality websites as you would find when Yahoo was still maintaining a directory…
- Radio Garden – Explore radio stations from all over the world – by just picking locations on virtual globe. This is one of my favorites!
- EarthCam – Explore live streaming web cams located all over the world!
- Google Earth – Explore our wonderful planet & famous landmarks virtually!
- The Vatican – Explore St. Peter’s Basilica in 3D!
- Vatican Museums – 360° virtual tour of various rooms, including the Sistine Chapel & Raphael’s Room, in the Vatican. The amount of detail you can see is amazing! Very ornate rooms!
- US White House – Virtual tour of the US White House. This is NOT the official page for the White House – which is whitehouse.gov
- Botanical Gardens – Google Earth tour some of the most impressive botanical gardens in the world. The “Stop & Smell The Flowers Tour”!
- Thunder Bay Wrecks – Explore some shipwrecks in the Thunder Bay area of Lake Huron in 3D.
- The Eiffel Tower – The view from the Eiffel Tower – A virtual experience. You can move and look from all vantage points.
- Google Expeditions – Where do you want to go and what do you want to see today? Google Expeditions spans History, Natural History, Geography, Arts and Science & Technology. IT is a wonderful and immersive way to explore these areas of interest!
Health & Safety
- MuscleWiki – Need help in identifying what exercises to do to work a particular muscle group? MuscleWiki is like a virtual trainer that can help you do just that! It has videos for each recommended exercise as well as guidelines for performing the exercise. There are also other tools on the website like a calorie counter to help you figure out the number of calories you can consume and maintain your weight – based on your age, gender, height & level of activity. Great way to help you stay in shape – especially during pandemic times when you are inclined to interact with fewer people!
- USA.gov – Online portal to US government resources & services.
- Whitehouse.gov – The official website of the White House & the current administration. Interesting fact – it is built using WordPress!
- Library of Congress – The largest library in the world, with millions of books, recordings, photographs, newspapers, maps and manuscripts! HERE are some fascinating facts about the Library of Congress!
We hope you enjoyed our list and found some fun & interesting stuff to do online in your hour of boredom. If you know of anything we should add to our list – please leave us a comment below. Thank you!